Setting up a conversion funnel in Google Analytics is a simple task that every retailer on the planet needs to have in their toolkit. Not only does it empower you to understand how and when people drop out during your conversion process, it also allows you to measure your cart abandonment rate over time.
Setting up a funnel in your account allows you to identify “leaky buckets” when it comes to conversion on your site that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to see. There are two central ideas when it comes to setting up these reports for your site: a goal & a funnel. A goal can be a number of different things:
- A url destination ex. /confirmation.php
- A duration ex. 5 minutes onsite
- Pages/screens per visit ex. 5 pages
- Event ex. clicked “buy now” button
A funnel represents the path that a customer takes to reach your goal. For the purposes of measuring cart abandonment, we’re going to use a URL destination as our goal. Typically, that destination is your thank you page or order confirmation page.
To get started building funnels on your site, we put together a short video to walk you through the process. We hope it’s helpful! If video isn’t your thing, read on for written instructions as well.
How to Set Up a Funnel
For the sake of this demo, we’re going to use a multi-step checkout as our path to conversion.
- Sign into your Google Analytics account and click “Admin” in the upper right-hand corner.
- Choose the profile that you’ll be setting up the funnel for and click on “Goals”
- To set up a new goal, click “CREATE A GOAL”
- Next, you’ll set up a description and the type of goal you’d like to track. For cart abandonment, choose “URL Destination” and name your goal checkout.
- Next, set the Funnel Option to “On”. To a test checkout as your customer would, noting each step in the process. Add in the additional steps as the funnel leading up to your confirmation page.
- Step 1. Cart Page ex. /checkout/cart/
- Step 2. Checkout Page ex. /checkout/onepage/
- Save your new goal. The data for your funnel report will be available the following day.
Are you a retailer who needs some extra help with setting up your funnels? Give us a shout!
What to do next
If this post was helpful you can subscribe here for future post alerts.
Learn how to set up an effective abandoned cart email campaign here.